Sunday, February 18, 2007

playing catch up and dinner travel

Homeschooling and spring cleaning has kept me very busy. I had a few minutes and wanted to throw some pictures on here that have been piling up.

We tried Mochi finally! The kids loved watching it cook! They liked the taste of the original flavor and didn't even want to try the pizza flavor! huh? Oh, well. My husband and I liked it. I ate my original flavor stuffed with homemade kimchi and the pizza flavor dipped in homemade marinara mixed with Vegan Gourmet cheese.






Here is some quickie sausage I made from frozen Boca burgers and a spice blend I found on the internet. Just threw it all in the food processor and shaped into small patties. Turned out really good! The kids liked it even though they won't touch Boca burgers.



Made some Foccacia Bread from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons The family loved it! I thought it was quick, easy and good, except that the garlic and herb topping burned. Yuck! Not much worse than burnt garlic.



Oh, this was delicious! Texas Rainbow Greens. My husband and I ate it with quinoa. I didn't even try to serve it to the kids.



Weird "meat" in a can. My husband is curious about it, so a can usually ends up in the cart "to try". This was surprisingly good and I think will be one of my favorite dishes to serve to omnis. All but the youngest kid loved it. Companion brand Peking Vegetarian Roast Duck used in a recipe called Hoisin Duck and Greens Stir-fry (from a tiny little cookbook called Asian Food that I picked up at Costco a few years ago.)




Another canned "meat" Cedar Lake Chops coated with spicy breading and lightly fried in cooking spray. Also, surprisingly good. Was just okay straight out of the can. Wish I had more time to make homemade seitan.



I decided to make some Indian food a few nights ago, and, as a way to get my kids excited about trying everything out, I treated it as a "class". We pulled out the atlas and encyclopedia and read a little about the country before "tasting" some of the foods that are eaten in India. Although they didn't all pile their plates full and eat every bite, the kids were thrilled with it! So much so, that we've also "visited" Italy and Mexico since, and the kids requested Africa tomorrow night! I forgot to take any pictures but will be sure to start, especially if this is a recurring event! We may have to change our travel plans to once a week - I can't handle this many dirty dishes every night! :)

6 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

wow, the mochi does look really fun!

the food travel class is a great idea too - you could even mention that in places like India and Africa most people are vegetarian most of the time. that could lead to an interesting discussion about poverty, habits, sustainable living, etc...

6:31 AM

 
Blogger Lizard Princess said...

I really like your blog, because you never cease to amaze me with your variety within the vegetarian realm! In my little circle of friends here in Wisconsin, I'm always the "exotic eater" in the group it seems, but you always challenge me to try new things- something I am always aiming to do! (Keeps me young!)

PS- Note, It doesn't take much to be considered "exotic" in Wisconsin! LOL.

1:43 PM

 
Blogger bazu said...

Oooh, I love Mochi! I've tried the chocolate, filled with sour cream and agave nectar, and the cinnamon, filled with cream cheese and walnuts. The texas rainbow greens looks SO good. And mock duck! One of Daiku's favorite things is to make BBQ duck with that, served with brown rice and chinese broccoli, it's one of my all-time favorite meals.

8:03 PM

 
Blogger Judy said...

It sounds like you are doing a great job introducing new foods to your children. An ethnic 'theme' night sounds like so much fun, and how could little ones not like it?

8:10 AM

 
Blogger theONLYtania said...

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this blog! The mochi looks so fun.. depending on the price I might try it! (I'm a poor college kid hah.)

1:00 PM

 
Blogger islandgirlshell said...

Josh - thanks for the comments! we are having fun with our discussions about different foods/cultures/etc. the kids have some great questions considering how young they are and I think they are really changed by what they're learning! you should try mochi :)

lizard princess - wow! thanks for the compliments. i really feel as if I am the least exotic in the world of bloggers, so I can relate! i can't compete with most in the area of creativity or photography, but i can share what works and doesn't for my family. I am so glad to hear that i have provided you with some sort of inspiration - that was my original hope when starting to blog.

bazu - thanks for sharing your great ideas! i can't wait to try them.

judy - thanks! i try! the kids are becoming very good about trying new things and we're having lots of fun with it. it takes a lot of time to get to this place though :)

theonlytania - i'm glad you found my blog, too. I'm sorry it hasn't had many new posts lately, but i have good intentions to start again! mochi isn't cheap but it's definately worth trying. and it's really filling, too, so that should help justify the cost :)

8:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home