Friday, February 02, 2007

vita-mix and healthy dessert?

I need a Vita-Mix!! Are they as awesome as they seem?! I was lucky enough to take a trip to Costco last week with just one kid in tow, and was able to actually stand in front of the Vita-Mix demonstrator and see what it's all about. She made: soup in about 2 minutes, throwing whole veggies in the container; sorbet with cabbage, carrots, and fruity things (my 6 yr old PICKY eater ate it!); iced chocolate coffee; fresh fruit/veggie juice, etc. etc. It was so amazing! She made a Chicken Tortilla soup that smelled wonderful and made me want some, so, I came home and made one similar to hers.


I threw some very roughly chopped carrots, celery, zucchini, cilantro, bell peppers, jalapenos, onion, and garlic into a large soup pot with one can of undrained diced tomatoes and some water and seasonings (chili powder, cumin, etc.) Next, I boiled everything until it was soft and then blended it with my hand blender until it was smooth. Last, I added some cooked brown rice, corn, black beans and crushed tortilla chips. My three oldest kids loved it and so did my husband. Very heavy veggie flavor but kid friendly because there were no veggie chunks.

What about that "healthy" dessert?

My 3 yr old's eating habits have been really stressing me out lately. She refuses to eat anything but about 5 foods and we're starting to see "issues" because of it (don't worry - no details) One thing she eats very little of is grains and/or breads. I thought that I would try to make some low sugar oatmeal cookies and see if she would eat them. I never quite got that far though and decided to do a sort of no-bake, rice crispy treat...



This is what I ended up with. What a bomb! It didn't taste like a dessert. puffed brown rice, oatmeal, carob powder, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and soy nut butter. It was not sweet at all and it was so hard I couldn't even flatten it into the pan or cut it into bars or cookies. Needless to say, my 3 yr old didn't touch it. I kept it hoping I could salvage it, but I can't quite figure out how to do that. Any ideas for a healthy sweet with no dates?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizard Princess said...

Hello!
I have been unfortunatly coveting a Vitamix for some years now. Please let me know if you get one, because I don't want to spend hundreds of $'s just to be disappointed. Their ads are almost TOO convincing, know what I mean? I am a skeptical consummer, so please email me or visit my blog and let me know any first hand info you may have about this.
BTW- If you look at previous posts on my blog, you'll find some interesting recipes, too!

8:36 AM

 
Blogger islandgirlshell said...

hi, lizard princess! thanks for visiting. I will check out your blog! and I will keep you informed about the vita-mix. i believe we might be buying one soon. i have not heard one bad thing about it so i am very interested to try one.

shelly

7:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home